Let us create a 3d Digital eBook for you! DigyCat.com
They're not only good for you, but they taste good, too. Sprouts are also a great source of vitamins, fiber, protein, anti-oxidants, and enzymes. A sprout is produced when a seed starts growing into a vegetable. Sprouts can grow from the seeds ofvegetables, from grains such as buckwheat, and frombeans. While Mung beans are perhaps the most commonsource of sprouts, you can also obtain good resultsfrom lentils, soybeans and chickpeas just to name afew.
Sprouts can be grown almost anywhere and the best partis you only need a few basic supplies to get started.By following a few simple steps, you can receive acontinual supply of nutritious sprouts.
While there are several commercial products availableto cultivate sprouts, here are some of the easiestmethods to help you get started.
- Growing Sprouts in Flower Pots -
1. Start with a clean clay or plastic flower pot. Makesure there is a hole in the bottom of the pot to ensuregood drainage. Then place a piece of cheesecloth ormuslin in the bottom of the pot over the hole so thatthe seeds/beans cannot fall out.
2. Next, soak the seeds or beans overnight and thenput them in the pot. Remove any that are broken ordamaged. Cover the plant pot with a dish.
3. Once a day, hold the pot under running water for afew minutes. This is to soak the seeds/beansthoroughly.
4. Once the sprouts begin to show, remove the dish andcover the pot with a piece of clear plastic wrap to letin the light. Place the sprouting pot near a windowthat allows daylight but is not in direct sunlight.
- Growing the Sprouts in Trays -
1. Soak the seeds or beans overnight. Remove any thatare broken or damaged before you begin the sproutingprocess.
2. Select a low, flat dish (like a pie plate) or tray.You can purchase growing trays wherever plantingsupplies are sold.
3. Next, spread out a 2-inch layer of soil and thensprinkle the soaked seeds or beans on top of the soil.
4. Cover the seeds/beans with four layers of dampnewspaper.
5. Cover the top of the tray with clear plastic wrap.
6. When the sprouts start to lift the plastic cover,(usually about three days) remove the newspaper.
7. Place the tray in a window so that the light canturn the sprouts green. You will need a space to placethe sprouting tray that receives daylight but is not indirect sunlight.
8. Because the thin layer of soil dries out quickly,water twice each day.
9. After about 8-10 days, you will have sprouts tallenough to harvest.
- Growing Sprouts in a Jar -
1. Soak the seeds, grains, or beans in lukewarm waterovernight in a wide-mouth glass jar. Remove any thatare broken or damaged before you begin the sproutingprocess. (Sprouting increases the seed volume.4-tablespoons will be sufficient for a quart sizecontainer.)
2. In the morning, pour off the water in the jar andrinse the seeds/beans thoroughly.
3. Place a piece of cheesecloth or muslin over themouth of the jar. Use a rubber band to hold thematerial securely in place. This makes rinsing easier.
4. To keep the sprouts constantly damp, repeat therinsing 2-3 times a day. Remember to drain any excesswater because the sprouts should not stand in water.
5. Keep the jar away from the light for the first fewdays.
6. When the seeds/beans begin to sprout, (usuallyabout the forth day) move the jar into the light toactivate the chlorophyll and turn the sprouts green.
- Harvesting and Storing the Sprouts -
Newly germinated grain, seed, and sprouts, increase infood value in the very first period of growth. Grainsshould be harvested and eaten from when they are sixdays old until they are 4-5 inches tall. To harvest,just take your kitchen scissors and cut what you need.
Sprouts from beans, peas, etc., are ready earlier andcan be eaten when they are 3-6 days old, depending onthe type of sprout. For spouts grown in no soil or inseed trays, you can harvest the green "grass" when itstarts to grow. Sprouts, from grain sown in jars, areready sooner and are edible even before they turngreen. Seeds sown in soil take a little longer.
If necessary, wash the sprouts thoroughly to remove theseed coat. Sprouts need to be stored in therefrigerator once they are ready to eat. Put thesprouts in tight sealing bags, and they will remainflavorful and crisp for one to two weeks. Rinsing thesprouts daily under cold water can extend their life.
Sprouts may be frozen by blanching them over steam forthree minutes and then cooling them in ice water. Drainthem and pack into freezer containers.
By growing your own sprouts, you will save yourselfmoney because it is less expensive to buy sprout seedsand grow and harvest the sprouts yourself than it isto buy the sprouts from a market. Sprouting at hometakes only a few minutes a day, and can produce a goodpart of your daily requirements of the nutrients youneed from fresh produce. The hassles are minor, thecosts are low, and the freshness is wonderful.
Pia Nutro operates http://www.forvegetables.comShe has studied nutrition and understands the importance of vegetables in the diet. Visithttp://www.forvegetables.com often for up to date information on vegetables.
Nutrition - Google News
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Copping Out the Positive Effects of Copper
One must always keep in mind that copper is not just a kind of metal, when it comes to medicine and health, copper is actually a trace element mineral that serves a wide variety of purposes for the body, both on its own as well as a cofactor. Although the body requires a comparatively tiny amount of copper per day, even that little bit of copper is proven to be essential to having very good health.
The Portfolio Diet: The Solution to Heart Disease
What if there was a combination of foods that were as effective at lowering LDL cholesterol as prescription drugs? Would it be worth adding some new foods to what you eat each day to avoid medication?This is what the latest in a series of research studies Dr. Jenkins from the University of Toronto shows.
The Power of Capsulized Foods
For most people, the concept of capsulized food? usually conjures up images of space travelers ingesting meals condensed into a compact pill. However, in modern-day reality, things are quite different.
Fruitceuticals - The Evolution of Fruit
Since the beginning of time, everyday fruits have been known to help maintain a healthy body. The popular "5-A-Day for Better Health" is a national program encouraging Americans to increase their daily servings of fruit and vegetables to five or more per day.
Autism and Nutritional Supplements
Unfortunately, it has been proved beyond doubt that a large percentage of the United States population suffers from nutritional deficiency. Studies show, 30% of the general population has a marginal level of Vitamin C and 15% are Vitamin C deficient.
A Diet Deficiency Today is a Clinical Event Tomorrow
For those of us that understand nutrition and it'simportance in our lives, this statement makes all toomuch sense doesn't it?Today, six out of the top ten causes of death are dietrelated and chronic degenerative diseases afflict over120 million Americans. Cancer has moved from theeighth leading cause of death to number two, even afterRichard Nixon's "War on Cancer" spent thirty billiondollars attempting to find a cure.
Beauty Foods That Will Keep You Young and Healthy
You've heard that old saying: True beauty comes from within. Well, now nutritional experts have confirmed that you really are what you eat.
Healing Power of 8 Sugars: An Amazing Breakthrough in Nutrition
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Brain Foods Make You Think Differently for Back-to-school
Students might start thinking a little differently, once they learn about brain foods, and how they can help their concentration and make their school work easier.The most important meal of the day is breakfast.
LIFESTYLE WELLNESS = An Adventure of Health + Vitality!Not a strong wind, nor a surge of pressure, nor a fit of passion, nor anything, can throw you off when your body, mind and spirit are in perfect balance. -Unknown'WELLNESS'.
Eating to Health? Think Again!
So, what is new about this that you already don't know? Think again. It is not what-you-are-aware that is important, but are-you -alert, that is.
Chew Your Food
I am going to share with you possibly the most important piece of advice you will ever receive about nutrition. This piece of advice is not about supplementation.
When You Eat at the Fridge
I spent a few days at a resort in Mexico this past summer for a friend's wedding. I've known her since the 2nd grade and it was a really fun time hanging out with familiar faces.
You are Closer to Being Vitamin C Deficient Than You Think
Okay, so you think you are doing pretty well with your diet. You prepare most of your meals at home, don't eat much junk food and aren't a fast food eater only rarely.
Help Your Heart Grow
I turned into my parents' driveway in Maryland and parked the car. Before I could even step out and close the door, Mom flew out of the backyard, gesturing frantically.
Avocado - Ooh, What a Lovely Pear!
Many people avoid avocados thinking them to be fattening, but the truth is they are packed with Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) which burn fat so actually they make you thin! So now you are over that little misconception, let me tell you the rest of the avocado story?Avocados contain over 12 minerals. These minerals stimulate growth and keep other body functions in check.
The Macronutrient Balancing Act
Finally, dieters and healthy eaters everywhere have reason to rejoice, for there is a clear understanding of which fats, and which carbohydrates should be eaten for optimal health.For too long, healthy eaters with a range of diet or weight loss goals were provided with confusing, sometimes counterproductive information with respect to carbohydrates and fats.
Olive Oil, the Healthy Choice
Olive oil is a healthy choice over other fats such as butter, palm and coconut oils because olive oil is a monounsaturated fat that does not increase levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.Dr.
Seven Habits of Highly Healthy Eaters
"What exercises can I do to ?? As fitness professional I hear these words often. It doesn't matter if the sentence ends with, "get bigger muscles", "firm up my butt" or "flatten my stomach".
Your Target of Health is Easy
Many of us, probably even you, want this thing called health, yet have no idea what it would look like if we had it. We are going after this elusive thing, but we really have never stopped to think about what it was.
DietRight.biz Domain Is For Sale - $8,500 For Enquiries eMail Us
© www.DietRight.biz 2012